Crystal glass trophies and awards can be a common feature in many households. You may have received one as a gift or perhaps you or a family member may have got a crystal glass award as a result of winning a sporting event or doing good work in the community or elsewhere. Whatever the case, you will want to ensure that your crystal glass stays in good condition and continues to sparkle on your mantelpiece from the day that you place it there.
In order to help you to ensure that your crystal stays in pristine condition, we have put together expert tips on how to care for crystal glass.
- Never put your precious crystal in a dishwasher. Gentle hand washing will rejuvenate your crystal glassware whereas a dishwasher may etch or discolour it.
- Store your crystal where it won’t touch other items.
- Avoid using boiling hot water to clean crystal. Use only warm water for washing and for rinsing. Be aware that sudden changes of temperature can cause minute cracks on the inside of the glass that will cause it to lose the originality clarity.
- More glassware is broken during washing than at any other time so take precautions against this. Place a rubber mat on the bottom of the sink before filling it with water so that it can create a soft base and prevent glasses from rolling about the sink and potentially chipping.
- To clean your crystal glass add warm water and a tablespoon of white vinegar into a basin/the sink. The vinegar will cause the glass to dry very quickly and you can then use a special glass cloth to lightly dry your crystal glass.
- If gentle cleaning is not sufficient to clean dirt marks from a glass, add a teaspoon of clothing detergent/softener into the sink and leave overnight.
- Do not store crystal glasses upside down as it can put stress to the rim, which is very delicate.
- If your crystal breaks and you can save it, use a clear-drying epoxy that was made just for glass and glue it back together. Then set in the sun if possible to aid the bonding process.